[nSLUG] Open Source Desktop Apps

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Wed Aug 5 16:00:25 ADT 2009

Recently  I was told that a CIO type committee was formed in the provincial
government IT management.  I have also heard that they have advised the
politicos that Open Source Software is "not sustainable".  Now I believe this
is plain and simply incorrect.

What I am asking is for this groups help in countering this claim.  I hope to
be able to prepare a bound copy of an alternative position showing the
sutainability of Open Source.  I want to be able to debunk every myth and MS
FUD that they can present.

I am seeking your help.

I would like to have links to documents, case studies, case histories,
contacts, financial evaluations, first hand reports, and any other information.
I want to edit it and put together a complete dossier to present to the
government as an alternative to the position taken by this CIO committee.

Possibly we have an opportunity to make a change with a new government.  If it
takes meeting as a small group to review the material available, I am up for
it.

I know it is the dog days of summer, but I would like nothing better than for
this CIO committee to come back from vacation and find their position not only
refuted, but overturned.  It has to be a workable, financially viable,
technically valid paper, showing that their assumptions and beliefs are wrong
and that Open Source is 'right'  and now is the time for change.

The arguments have to include why closed source itself is the unsustainable
position.  It has to state why the interests of the software companies is not
the interest of the public and taxpayer, and that Open Source is.

Do we have any interest??

I want to hear from you.

Jim Haliburton

James A. Haliburton