[nSLUG] Extra media buttons on Toshiba A100

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Apr 10 21:48:51 ADT 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Mike.lifeguard wrote:

> Thanks for all the pointers. I think the most helpful (though not
> satisfying) was to test with xev. These buttons don't output anything.
> Apparently this is a kernel problem & I've CCed myself on a bug. I won't
> be holding my breath though.
>
> -Mike

***   I have a media keyboard on a DOS system at work that came with
Windoze software but none for DOS. Some of the media keys issue
characters recognisable by DOS. For the others, I was able to get some
to work with a program by Bret Johnson called "ScanCode".

    He also has a "ScanTest" utility that shows on the screen the codes
of keys pressed. As I recall, if a code appears, it can be modified
into a usable key under DOS by ScanCode. The program does other things
such as create macros in any program, execute them at specific times
of the day, make any key combination possible, and many other
features.

    Unfortunately in this instance when I set it to recognise the
Windoze media keyboard, ScanCode caused problems within other
programs that I didn't have time to debug. Reluctantly, I had to
unload it.  )-:
                               --------

    Bret is a DOS programmer, so I doubt there are Linux versions, but
you can see his website at:

 			http://bretjohnson.us/

  Richard