[nSLUG] Extra media buttons on Toshiba A100

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Fri Apr 10 18:03:08 ADT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 05:08:58PM -0300, Mike Doherty wrote:

> First post to the list so "Hi there!"
>

> I've just installed Ubuntu 8.10 as a dual boot with WinXP onto my
> Toshiba Satellite A100 and the extra media buttons don't work - anyone
> have a tip on getting that up & running? I'm not overly concerned -
> Windows refuses to pay attention to them too, so I'm used to it :D
> Still, any pointers would be appreciated.

There are a bunch of different A100 versions... ie the one Dalhousie
was using for their "Tech U" special is the A100-0FH. They have
different specs and different levels of support.

... and weird things may solve your problem. Toshiba uses two
different bioses on different laptops... I think it's Phoenix and
AMI, I forget though... one of them has hotkeys relatively well
supported through a third party app, the other just... doesn't. Some
models you'll have some luck with this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/omke/

... that didn't help me with mine though. Amusingly it was a BIOS
update to make it work better with Vista that made the LCD brightness
keys work properly.