[nSLUG] Need to borrow: scsi enclosure

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 08:39:15 ADT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Daniel MacKay <daniel at bonmot.ca> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have a Solaris box , bonmot.ca, used for numerous nonprofit public
> websites, internal communications, their wikis, and society
> management stuff.
>
> It has two internal drive slots, and due to an egregious error made
> some time ago, its zfs filesystem is running in raid0.
>
> One of the drives is failing and it's only a matter of time before it
> goes off line completely, taking the machine down.
>
> I could take it down, back up the data, set up the zpool properly,
> and restore, but that would make all these services unavailable for a
> while. If I could borrow an external scsi enclosure, I could vastly
> reduce that time.  The amount of disk required is tiny: I have only
> about 20G in use for that machine (bonmot.ca is just one zone on the
> machine, and the global zone is on another partition and is fine) and
> I have a couple of 18G SCA-2 drives which could go in that kind of
> enclosure.

I once tried to purchase an enclosure like that, but a used SGI Octane
was cheaper.    The octane has since died -- I suppose an enclosure
would have lasted better.

> The server has this kind of HD68 connector (I use a picture because
> of the vast VAST abundance of SCSI connectors, and names for them:)
>
> http://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/CC366D-03_LR.jpg
>
> ... however of the two, the cable is the easier to get.
>
> So, if you can lend me an external scsi enclosure, please write back.

If you have disks it might be easier to find a 2nd system, but maybe it
is time to move your site onto commodity hardware.  New Dell  PE T100
sells for around CA$700 (no OS) and uses SATA drives.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia