[nSLUG] ethernet and the modern linux

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 00:41:03 ADT 2008

2008/9/29 D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:

> Ugh.  I retired all of my Etherlink III gen NICs a few years ago.

> In my experience, a $10 NC100 I picked up in
> Greenwood mall is more reliable than the 10 year old
> 3COM cards.

Really?  Linksys?  I don't know the NC100.  I was a fan of the LNE100
sometime back, because they were cheap, and DEC tulip clones -- those
were good cards, and I could mix/match the hardware using the same
drivers.  But give me a 3c905 any day.  Especially version C
(3c905C-TX-M) which had an integrated boot rom.  Sweet!

> Back when NICs were
> over a hundred bucks, it might have been worth sweating it.

Back then, those 3com's _were_ the hundred dollar cards!

Nowadays I'd get Intel.

I did get some very nice, very cheap Netgear Gigbit cards for home.
GA302T.  I probably never stressed them much, but they worked without
a hiccup on my handmade home network using regular cat5. Which leads
me to my conclusion about Netgear:

- If it has software, or firmware with a user interface, don't bother
- if it's all hardware, plus incidental firmware, it's a decent
budget-priced product.

Just my biased opinion :)

-D.