[nSLUG] Wireless Woes

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 22:01:57 ADT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Vikram Chhatre
<crypticlineage at gmail.com> wrote:
> This weekend I delved in the world of wireless finally.  My new Inspiron
> 1525 notebook arrived and so did the Linksys WRT54GL wireless router.  After
> several long hours on freenode/slackware/dd-wrt channels, I managed to flash
> the firmware on the router to dd-wrt Version 24 stable standard generic.
> Also, the intel wireless card drive on my notebook has a driver built into
> kernel, so the module iwl4965 was already probed and running.  I am using
> wicd as the wireless connection manager.
>
> The problem is, I am only rarely able to connect to the network, lets say 1
> out of 10 attempts.  The client sees the network, network sees the client
> card, but simply wont let in.  No error messages.  I have already tried
> doing hard reset on the router a couple of times (30:30:30 reset).  This
> hasn't helped.  I should mention that my wired LAN is working just fine.

I bought a second WRT54GL for testing the firmware updates
and because this Linux based router is being discontinued.
I decided to wait for version 24 SP2 (I'm running ver 23 SP2).

There are currently three options for running with the version 24.
First release, SP1 and CVS checkout of latest.  I know of a
WEP key problem in SP1 which is said to be fixed in the CVS version,
and it might help your problem as well.  Try their forums too:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

--Donald