[nSLUG] Re: ethernet and the modern linux

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Sep 26 17:46:26 ADT 2008

"George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2.  udev considered harmful

Ho hum.  Here, apparently, is another udev fu. I normally set
permissions on /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd (the cd/dvd drives) from 660 to
664 so that I can run eject as a non-root user.  With Slack 12.1, this
gets reset to 660 at each reboot.  Feh.  I guess I have to beat up the
udev manpage.

Getting back to the Subject:, ethtool is solving my problem with
failed autoneg at boot.  How nice!  Last time I had the problem, I
spent a couple of days swapping cards around until I found a
combination that would work with the router. (I know, I should get a
newer router but my laser printer is parallel->Centronics and nobody
has a router anymore with a printserver that isn't USB. Ho hum
again. :-) Word on the street is that the USB->Centronics adapter
cables are flakey.  Any thoughts on that?)

- Mike

                                                           /V\