[nSLUG] Mozilla issues...

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Fri Sep 26 15:29:14 ADT 2008

Hi David

I suspect that there may be permissions issues.

I have a symbolic link

bookmarks.html -> /home/jcw/Main/Maintenance/LinkTargets/bookmarks.html

in my /home/jcw/.mozilla/default/9hpoc9rq.slt directory. The permissions
on the target file are

-rw-r----- 1 jcw jcw 182k 2008-09-25 22:10
/home/jcw/Main/Maintenance/LinkTargets/bookmarks.html

As you can see, any user who has his bookmarks symlinked to this will be
unable to write to it (except me, jcw, of course). What happens then
depends on how the browser is compiled. It used to be that the symbolic
link itself would be replaced by a new ordinary bookmarks file. When I
just tried it now, the symbolic link still pointed to the correct place
but that file did not get updated.

If the target file is world writable, and if at most one user tries to
update it at a time, things should work out ok.

Hope this helps.

Jack