[nSLUG] ethernet and the modern linux

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 13:11:30 ADT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
\> 1000BaseT uses all four pairs.
> Another variant named 1000BaseTX uses only 2 pairs over CAT6, but is
> now uncommon.
>
> (How could 100BT use "2 pairs for up and 4 pairs for down"?  Which
> side is "up"?  It's symmetrical! <LOL>)

Yes... I had wires written originally and decided to switch to pairs
and forgot to change a number.  Clearly it was a typo.  I don't
believe it makes my point about gigabit ethernet requiring
significantly more complexity to operate in ("just") a half-duplex
mode compared to the 10/100 cases any less valid.  If you'd like to
address instead, you know, the point I was making: ie gigabit ethernet
is so different from 10/100 you shouldn't group them together, then I
am all ears.

> BTW, WIkipedia says:

Wikipedia should have a program where by reading an article you
qualify to receive a certificate in the mail that says: "GOLD STAR:
_________  IS NOW AN EXPERT".

Jason