[nSLUG] linux home or workplace automation and Universal Powerline Bus

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 01:16:04 ADT 2008

2008/9/26 Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>:
> Now I have to experiment with ethtool and see what else I can do that
> I didn't know about.  Maybe I can even get everybody to do 100baseT.

Woohoo!

> Bonus Slackware cookie: Installing Slack 12.1, I've discovered that
> /etc/csh.login contains the line:
>
>    setenv LC_ALL POSIX
>
> but the corresponding file for bash, /etc/profile, has no
> corresponding line.  Adding ``export LC_ALL="POSIX"'' to /etc/profile
> fixes a really annoying problem in Emacs DIRED, i.e. that the default
> locale setting results in a date format output by ls -l that Emacs'
> regexp doesn't parse.

Interesting!  You should let the Slackware people know... I think
perhaps they might have to find a way to kludge emacs... I found this
in slackware-current change log:

Mon Sep 15 20:35:43 CDT 2008
a/etc-12.2-noarch-1.tgz:  Do not set LC_ALL POSIX in /etc/csh.login.  Not only
  is this the wrong setting, it isn't even in the proper file.  :-/
  Thanks to Jim Diamond.

If you find out more, let us know...

-D.