[nSLUG] Re: linux home or workplace automation and Universal Powerline Bus

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Sep 26 00:42:21 ADT 2008

Someone made apologetic noises about the recent lengthy exchange on a
network admin topic (see Subject:) not explicitly Linux-related.

No apology needed: Thanks, George, Daniel and others for calling my
attention to ethtool.  My "network" is pretty Mickey-Mouse compared to
biz and research sites but I keep hitting this problem with getting
various ethernet cards, some of them kinda old, to talk to the
router. With ethtool I can force speed 10 on eth0 when autoneg fails
and get things working.

Now I have to experiment with ethtool and see what else I can do that
I didn't know about.  Maybe I can even get everybody to do 100baseT.

Bonus Slackware cookie: Installing Slack 12.1, I've discovered that
/etc/csh.login contains the line:

    setenv LC_ALL POSIX

but the corresponding file for bash, /etc/profile, has no
corresponding line.  Adding ``export LC_ALL="POSIX"'' to /etc/profile
fixes a really annoying problem in Emacs DIRED, i.e. that the default
locale setting results in a date format output by ls -l that Emacs'
regexp doesn't parse.  Result is that, if you login with bash as yr
shell (as root normally does), "M-x dired" creates a nice display but
no file management can be done because there's "no file on this line"
for all lines.

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\