[nSLUG] linux home or workplace automation and Universal Powerline Bus

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 18:43:35 ADT 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 02:52:09PM -0300, George N. White III wrote:
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_powerline_bus> is a more
>> robust "fork" of X-10.
>
> Bigger question, will this even work with a UPS? It works by adding
> noise, power smoothing should either kill or weaken the signal, no?

That is why you need an experienced contractor.  The basic idea
is to keep the UPB traffic all running in the circuit fed by one UPS.
Various filters that can be installed  to limit UPB signals to specific
runs, and I just need a few sensors (flooding, temperature),
a controller, and the UPD to USB or serial  interface to the computer
that monitors the show.   The idea is that the UPB thermostat manages
the A/C via the controller -- the computer is used to schedule shutdowns,
maintain logs, and send notifications.   Reliability is tricky -- currently the
thermostat is powered by a small transformer on the same circuit that
feeds the UPS, so moving the transformer to the other side to power a
UPB thermostat reduces risk of some transient frying the transformer
(which does happen) but makes the AC vulnerable to a problem with
the UPS.   At one time the same generator circuit that fed the UPS also
fed a room full of freezers.   After a power outage, the UPS saw all the
spikes from the compressors going on and off and decided the power
wasn't stable enough to go off battery, so it never took power from the
generator.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia