[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:46:27 ADT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Jason Kenney <jdkenney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm finding this discussion interesting. It's really hard to believe that a
>> CPU and usage of a computer can cost that much!
>
> Actually I don't think it does.  I didn't respond at the time, but he
> made the point that his measurements were *under load*.  Of course he
> doesn't have a duty cycle approaching 100%...   On a home computer,
> for normal users I'd surprised if it's even 1%, over a 24 hour period
> the calculations about money were done on.  A heavy gamer would
> probably incur a much larger duty cycle though as you mention.

I included two numbers.  One is idle.  That was as low as it
would go, but it didn't stay there much.  The other number is
under "typical load".  That would be incoming
email for one server, and incoming web visits on the other server.
The values I showed were not peaks, but typical while watching
it for a few minutes.  I measured the Atom load while Debian
was installing on it, and I've seen since that this (47 watts)
is typical for running it as a desktop and web server concurrently.

With a few kill-a-watt devices one could measure the KW/H
over a week and get some more accurate useage, but I'm already
turning off one old box and working at migrating the next.