[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Sep 18 14:56:04 ADT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:19:26PM -0300, Jason Kenney wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm finding this discussion interesting. It's really hard to believe that a
> > CPU and usage of a computer can cost that much!
>
> Actually I don't think it does.

The numbers I was running earlier were based on a server running all
the time at idle. I always assume that a home server is going to spend
most of its time idle.

The 40w Atom will cost about $35 a year to run if it is kept running
all the time. (at 10cents/kwh)

An average desktop is probably using around 80w to over 100w at
idle. Leving that machine running all the time costs $70 to $90 a
year.

It gets worst when you leave Folding at Home or Distributed.net apps
running. You could easily pay twice that. (And if you have a P4 the numbers
are much worst.)

An argument can be made that for half the year the heat is not
wasted. However electric heat is typically more expensive then
oil.

--
sg