[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:33:35 ADT 2008

Actually if you read the Wikipedia on TDP it claims it is highest
"normal" thermal output by the processor.  Or in other words, the
highest thermal output you'd see from a real application running full
load.  Theoretically it's possible to design instruction sets that are
non-sensical but produce an even higher thermal output (and it claims
there are viruses designed to do this?!).  So TDP is the number you
use to design your cooling system - you can assume in all cases of
normal operation you won't exceed this thermal power.  But it's not an
indication of idle power, or anything else from a system not at full
load.

Jason