[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Thu Sep 18 09:48:15 ADT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 09:33:35AM -0300, Michael Gillie wrote:
> I'm finding this discussion interesting. It's really hard to believe that a
> CPU and usage of a computer can cost that much!
>
> A comment was made in the earlier parts of the discussion that caught my
> eye. It was concerning home Computers, and why someone would sacrifice
> processing power to save a few cents each day.
>
> My grandfather used to say "a penny saved is a penny earned." HOWEVER, i beg
> to differ....
>
> The money that you would save might cause frustrations. If you are a gamer,
> you need power. That is where power-sucking super-monster computers come in.
> Likewise with servers. A slow computer, mixed with a slow internet
> connection.... HELL on earth.
>
> I'm willing to sacrifice a little electricity for more processing power.
>
> Intel has come a fair way. Let's finish the job, lol. We need a CPU that
> saves electricity, yet Processes like mad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

Doesn't have some of the newer chips (like the Atom), but it has a lot
of chips.

My hardware-fu is a little lacking, but my understanding is that the
TDP is a worst-case number. Things like SpeedStep/Cool'n'Quiet mean
(unless you're burning CPU 24/7) that most of the time you should be
way under that.

... I think.