[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

Joshua Bearden joshua.bearden at unb.ca
Thu Sep 18 09:11:12 ADT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Aaron Spanik <a.spanik at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> For now, I'm enjoying reading the various viewpoints in this thread
> that did actually start on a salient, somewhat Linux-related note.
> To me, nsLUG is more about the people and the conversation and less
> about compartmentalizing everything and putting it in its "proper
> place".

Here here!  As a dedicated lurker I'm pretty happy to listen to any
intelligent conversation. At worst it's better than silence and at
best I'm learning something new.

 As far as the high/low power computing debate goes I am always
interested in ways to get essential jobs done with lighter power
requirements. It's not merely about saving money or the environment,
it's also about fulfilling a fetish for modular efficiency.
Individually efficient appliances allow for more versatile
configurations. While few people in North America ever complained
about having to plug in their transistor radios, the fact that they
could be made to run on minimal wattage eventually made hand-crank
powered receivers possible.

Hmm... a bicycle/treadmill powered home server might save electrical
power, generate even more heat in precisely the place I want extra
heat in the winter. Given my current calorie intake exceeds my actual
needs I probably wouldn't have to increase food costs to generate the
additional energy.

~jb