[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Tue Sep 16 15:56:17 ADT 2008

> Atom 1.6 Ghz with 2 320 GB SATA seagate drives
> Idle: 42 watts
> Typical load: 47 watts

Another board to be on the look out for (supposedly
to be released int the next 3 months) is this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997.html

 It's got 2 pci slots, 6 sata ports, can be run fanless,
and while lower cpu clock speed apparently better performance than the
atom for about the same price.
While the CPU power draw is twice that of the cpu in the Atom,
when you add in the motherboard draw it beats out the atom.

AMD:
8w(cpu)+11.4w(board) = 19.4W

Intel:
4w(cpu)+22.w(board) = 26.2W

I might not use it as a desktop machine myself, it would be a nice little
fileserver board, or desktop for my parents/daughter.