[nSLUG] Considering the Inspiron 1525

Michael Gillie mikegpc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 15:51:53 ADT 2008

As much as I love linux, in my field, I have come to rely on systems that
have good stability, and compatibility with the programs I need to use, like
Adobe suites, as well as other programs.

This really leaves me two options for reliability, ease of use, and power.
Altho Windows is as buggy as **** and can't do **** without anything less
then 1 gig of ram MINIMUM on Vista, it's able to meet my needs.

I love Mac, but the price hurts me just thinking about it.

I'll stick with experimental linux usage until Ubuntu, Solaris, or
Fedora/Mandriva get it together and make something better then Wine, and
more compatible. I can't run my power-hungry tools in anything less then a
native environment without issues.
I'm bound to get jeered at by the majority of my fellow linux-lovers, but
the fact is, Windows, as much as I hate MS, like the rest of the linux users
out there, I have to steck with the Monopoly until the time is right.

Thanks,

Michael
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Paul <wes902 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I understand you bad experience but the build quality on the 6400
> series is sketchy at best. It was a cheap laptop when it was released
> and you can see all the corners cut. WTF were they thinking with the
> silver top that scratches easily and the white panels around the
> hinge/sides that seem very weak and want to collapse.
>
>  We have a few 6400's (6-7) in service for 2-3 years, these are
> systems that are on the road and get abused. So far the total damage
> is one popped off key and a semi broken LCD (2" redish ting line down
> the center).  *knock on wood*
>
>  I have seen quite a few of the new Vostro business laptops 1500
> series and they look significantly better and feel quite sturdy.
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 09:28:12AM -0300, Michael Gillie wrote:
> >> I suggest one thing.... AVOID DELL!
> >
> > Unfortunately Dell is no worst then any other brand of Laptop. The
> > last time I saw numbers from Consumer Reports the problem rates of
> > laptops from Sony, Apple, Lenovo, HP, Dell, and Toshiba ranged from
> > 17% to 19%. Laptop quality in general really sucks.
> >
> > I am no fan of Dell. That said, we have been using Dell laptops at
> > work from the "bussiness class" Latitude line. We have had minimal
> > problems with these laptops. I have installed Linux on the D800, D620,
> > and D630 models with only minor issues. Dell does have a reputation
> > for poor quality and appears to be working hard to overcome that
> > image.
> >
> > You may want to consider one of the Lattitude Laptops that come with
> > Ubuntu.
> >
> > http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?s=bsd
> >

> > --
> > sg

Have a great day,

Michael C. Gillie

Owner and Operator of HemmySoft
"Unique name! Unique face! Unique Work!"
1-902-402-7165
Skype: hemmysoft
Web site: http://www.hemmysoft.com