[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:14:21 ADT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the Scotian Windfields data sheets are to be believed, wind-generated
> electricity is already less expensive than coal or oil.  From their '10
> Myths of Renewable Energy:
>
> #2 The current cost of wind and wave energy is higher than fossil fuels
>
>       The cost of wind and wave energy has already been proven to be
>       lower than what we currently pay for electricity in Nova Scotia.
>       Not only has every contract for supply of renewable energy been
>       below the residential rate (/kWh), but the costs of all renewable
>       energies are decreasing, while the costs of all fossil fuels are
>       increasing.
>
> Sorry, I could only find it in PDF:
>
> http://www.scotianwindfields.ca/Joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=66&Itemid=94

This is getting off topic, but I don't think wind, tides and sun will be able to
power our future, unless we go back to using electricity like we did in the
1940's (or perhaps 1910's).  Electricity is going to power cars, home
heating, and lots of stuff in the future (whether hydrogen cells are involved
is mute, as hydrogen will be produced by electrolysis).  We are going to need,
I would guess, double the current electricity in the coming decades,
and the only path to
doing so is nuclear.  I don't like nuclear, but I think it is the only
practical solution.

I just wish the 3 trillion pumped into the Iraq war had been put into
this instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEMO

We (using the largest possible royal 'we') might have accelerated that
timeline massively.