[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:03:05 ADT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
> You're a little late to the party in terms of the drive for lower
> power chips. The ULV Pentium M chips drew something like 5W a couple
> years ago. If you want to exclude laptop chips, VIA has been sitting
> in that niche for years. In the datacenter world look at the HE
> opteron chips.

The marketing on power reduction has been around for awhile.
But no one has produced high volumes of low power
total solutions at low cost like this.  In any case, I'm no driver, I'm
merely a user and I've been aware of the market up to now.

I don't know anyone who would trust their server room to VIA cpus,
and in any case VIA would have limitations on producing high volumes.
Sun has tried to get in on this too, with an argument on
cheapest threads per watt for their T2000.  I don't know if their
concept has actually saved any particular customer type any money,
given the cost of the T2000.  HE opterons are better than their peer
Opterons, but still eat power compared to PIII or Atom.  I'm interested
in the full power draw, as well, not just the CPU.  The chipset
and other components can be an unknown until you set up
a system and measure it.  Indeed, the heatsink and fan on the Atom
motherboard is on the chipset, while the CPU is small passive heatsink.
The numbers I gave here were measured, so that includes the inefficiency
of the power supply, fans, disks, etc.