[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:58:29 ADT 2008

2008/9/16 Daniel MacKay <daniel at bonmot.ca>:
>> In NS, for >6 months of the year, the heat is not "waste".
>> It contributes to the overall heating for your home/office, and
>> should be subtracted from the cost of other heat sources.
>
> At Solar Nova Scotia I make this argument on a regular basis, George.
> I don't expect anyone else to get it :-)

All true, but I still feel uncomfortable recommending resistive electric
heat to anyone, when there are far more efficient ways to use electricity
for heat (i.e. heat pump), and other non-electric ways to heat (e.g.
active/passive solar).  In this sense, excess electricty converted to heat
_is_ waste, and not just in the summer months.

William Lachance said:
> Given both the soaring price of coal and the push towards even more
> expensive renewables for power generation

If the Scotian Windfields data sheets are to be believed, wind-generated
electricity is already less expensive than coal or oil.  From their '10
Myths of Renewable Energy:

#2 The current cost of wind and wave energy is higher than fossil fuels

       The cost of wind and wave energy has already been proven to be
       lower than what we currently pay for electricity in Nova Scotia.
       Not only has every contract for supply of renewable energy been
       below the residential rate (/kWh), but the costs of all renewable
       energies are decreasing, while the costs of all fossil fuels are
       increasing.

Sorry, I could only find it in PDF:

http://www.scotianwindfields.ca/Joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=66&Itemid=94

-D.