[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 12:40:07 ADT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:51 AM, Jason Kenney <jdkenney at gmail.com> wrote:
> So assuming you keep your systems on 24/7,
>
> at the current (ie more now than in the past) cost of electricity,
> 10.67 cents/kW*hour
>
> every 100W uses 25.6 cents of electricity a day.
>
> You're saying that probably at the very most a quarter a day of
> electricity was a significant factor in choosing what hardware you
> used?

The calculation I have for under load is 143 watts difference,
and according to the NS Power calculator that works out to $133/year

Keep in mind, part of the goal in this is finding an upgrade.  The PIII system
maxes out at 1 GB of RAM, which amavisd can take over half, and growing
in each new version.  All other upgrade paths I saw used more electricity than
a PIII generation, so I balked at upgrading for some time.

This is part of the energy conservation process.   I'm also looking to stop
my use of a Cisco switch which eats 40 watts, compared to chaining
small consumer switches which use 1 to 4 watts.  Desktops are only turned on
while in use, rather than left on.  The changes all add up to something
significant compared to where I was, and where I could have been going.

--Donald