[nSLUG] Considering the Inspiron 1525

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:52:32 ADT 2008

2008/9/16 Vikram Chhatre <crypticlineage at gmail.com>:
> Does anyone have experience installing any Linux distribution on these
> Inspirons?  I found a couple of Installation instructions including
> Ubuntu, but it didn't have the specifics of setting up wireless card.
> I want to make sure that drivers are available for video, audio and
> wireless networking, before I pull the trigger on this one.

Did you try something like googling "Dell Inspiron 1525 Linux"?

First hit:
http://gizmodo.com/357868/ubuntu-linux-comes-to-the-dell-inspiron-1525

Fourth hit: (documented Suse 10.3 64 bit install)
http://en.nothingisreal.com/wiki/GNU/Linux_on_a_Dell_Inspiron_1525

And the sixth hit says:

Poster:
  For all the noobs who want to install Linux on a laptop but dont know
  what to buy...

  I just got a Dell Inspiron 1525 with an Intel wireless NIC This will be
  my 4th laptop to date.  I am happy to say that when i installed Linux
  (fedora8) on it every bit of hardware was recognized and working out of
  the box.

Moderator's reply:

  Please don't spam the forums with your findings. The appropriate place
  to put something like this is the HCL.

<heh!>

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-handheld-25/dell-inspiron-1525-634795/?s=a923985ba8349e347dfb39ebd617c2c8

So while I make no guarantees...
<shake, shake, shake> All signs point to yes!

If you want more detail I suggest you google some more and look around all
those sites for someone's posted dmesg output, and if you're lucky, lspci,
then investigate the mailing list for those chipsets.  But best would be
to take a distro with you to the store.

-D.