[nSLUG] Considering the Inspiron 1525

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:23:44 ADT 2008

Dear all,

I am considering buying a Dell Inspiron 1525 as my first laptop.  It
will be dual boot system with Slackware 12.1.  I don't do any gaming.
My needs are office applications / music / movies / streaming videos
etc. So I guess I will be okay with an integrated video card.  Here is
the hardware profile:

Processor: Pentium Dual Core T2390  1.86GHz
Memory: 3GB shared dual channel DDR2 at 667 MHz
HDD: 250GB 5400
Video: Intel GMA X3100
CD/DVD RW
Sound Blaster Audigy software edition (what is software edition?)
Wireless:  Intel Next -Gen Wireless -N Mini-card  (not sure what
chipset this is)

Does anyone have experience installing any Linux distribution on these
Inspirons?  I found a couple of Installation instructions including
Ubuntu, but it didn't have the specifics of setting up wireless card.
I want to make sure that drivers are available for video, audio and
wireless networking, before I pull the trigger on this one.

Thanks a bunch.

Vikram