[nSLUG] Measured wattage of atom system

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 00:32:16 ADT 2008

As I've mentioned here last week, I'm installing
Debian on an Atom based system to replace
a PIII and Sun Ultra 1 at home.

Here are some wattage comparisons measured with
Kill A Watt.

PIII dual 550 Mhz with 2 320 GB IDE seagate drives
Idle: 53 watts
Typical load: 86 watts

Sun Ultra 1 167 Mhz with 2 18 GB 10K SCSI drives
Idle: 94 watts
Typical load: 104 watts

Atom 1.6 Ghz with 2 320 GB SATA seagate drives
Idle: 42 watts
Typical load: 47 watts

The Atom motherboard and processor is a funny setup.
The heatsink and fan are over the main chipset, and there
is a tiny passive heatsink over the CPU.  Quiet the twist
on what we're used to seeing.

Part of the reason I kept the PIII system for so long was
that it just worked, and it was cheaper on power than
any upgrade path previously available.

--Donald