[nSLUG] Home NAS recommendations $400-$600?

Daryl 7thson.clone at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 07:51:09 ADT 2008

Hi Luke

far as the storage, really don't have any input as I've never used one
and just recently hit the 200gig hard drive mark when I bought an
external drive :)

for the hard drives, if they are 10 gig or bigger, I'd be interested in
taking them off your hands as I'm working on a project to try and revive
some old systems, install Linux on them and donate them to families who
otherwise wouldn't be able to get a computer. (helps the kids with
having a computer and homework and exposes them to Linux so we can get
them off windows early ;) ) I've had success with reviving an old
Toshiba Tecra 550 cdt with a 12 gig drive by installing Debian 4 with
XFCE and it actually runs decent. Timed the boot process and was at the
desktop in under 3 minutes.

Daryl