[nSLUG] Home NAS recommendations $400-$600?

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Tue Sep 9 11:32:52 ADT 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:16:37AM -0400, Joe Dunn wrote:
> Hey Lukie,
>
> Synology makes a nice product. I demo'ed some of their stuff a couple months
> ago, the ajax interface is slick and it does lots of little neato things. IP
> camera tie-ins, daapd, shell access. It runs a modified debian install and
> the processor is a PPC600ghz.
>
> If i were you Luke i'd just grab an old box and install FreeBSD on it or
> FreeNAS. The beta version of FreeNAS does ZFS now. I've had one core dump
> (in 140 days of operations) of FreeBSD 7.0 Release running ZFS. (kernel ran
> out of memory for ZFS operations)

Using ZFS on FreeBSD for anything important is a little crazy. Using
ZFS period for anything important is a little crazy (see also:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/15/joyent-suffers-major-downtime-due-to-zfs-bug/)
... but if you're going to do it, you're almost certainly better off
using Solaris or at least something with its kernel (Nexenta if you <3
the GNU userland etc.)