[nSLUG] Home NAS recommendations $400-$600?

Joe Dunn me at joedunn.com
Tue Sep 9 11:16:37 ADT 2008

Hey Lukie,

Synology makes a nice product. I demo'ed some of their stuff a couple months
ago, the ajax interface is slick and it does lots of little neato things. IP
camera tie-ins, daapd, shell access. It runs a modified debian install and
the processor is a PPC600ghz.

If i were you Luke i'd just grab an old box and install FreeBSD on it or
FreeNAS. The beta version of FreeNAS does ZFS now. I've had one core dump
(in 140 days of operations) of FreeBSD 7.0 Release running ZFS. (kernel ran
out of memory for ZFS operations)

Check out the forums on Synology also, the developers are active posters and
it has a great community around it. If you want a little more speed and a
little less stability you might want to check out the Thecus (
http://www.thecus.com/ ) they make a good product also.

Any who, I've been down this road Luke so ping me if you have any more
questions.

Joe