[nSLUG] Home NAS recommendations $400-$600?

Ian Bezanson irb at ianbezanson.ca
Tue Sep 9 06:42:13 ADT 2008

Linksys DNS-323 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509).  End of story.

It comes without drives for $200 or less (http://pricecanada.com/detail.php?product_id=454454&sku=DNS323
), linux based and completely hackable (http://wiki.dns323.info/).
You can very easily chroot Debian on it, opening it up to do
absolutely anything you want.  It has two SATA-2 drive bays and offers
RAID 0+1 so you can purchase two drives of whatever size you want and
plunk em in.  It also offers media and iTunes servers, etc..  I've had
one for about a year now and it's perfect, and was cheap.

Hope this helps,

--
Ian Bezanson
irb at ianbezanson.ca