[nSLUG] Linux hackable wireless router on sale at Dell

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 14:47:14 ADT 2008

2008/9/3 Allan Lavell <alavell at gmail.com>:
> That sounds pretty interesting, I might pick one up... So you can replace
> the firmware, and basically run a Linux OS on it? It would probably be a
> good learning tool for network programming.

It's already running Linux.  Linksys was forced to release the sources to
their Linux firmware, and then people started customizing.

It's limited to routing and network services, mostly, as there's no USB or
anything else (you can add a serial port if you're inclined to hardware
hacking).  Just 10/100 ethernet and 802.11b/g wireless.  You can get an idea
of the possibilities by looking at the available ported OpenWRT packages,
here:

   http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/packages/mips/

Of course, with only 4 MB of flash, you can't install everything.

Compared with a standard PC, it's got quite a complicated setup.  I wouldn't
use them as a network programming learning tool unless you're comfortable
doing a lot of hacking.  I haven't even tried to setup a cross-compiling build
environment for one yet.

Here's an eBay seller in Canada with Motorola WR850Gv2 units.  These have the
same specs and also run Linux; also compatible with DD-WRT, OpenWrt, etc.  For
a single unit it'll cost you US $31.89.  I've just bought 20 of them (haven't
arrived yet) and they came to US $16.50 each, shipping included.  (If my
project falls through I'll be reselling them for CAD $20 each :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290252218685

Thanks for pointing this out, Stephen.

-D.