[nSLUG] Unable to set desired DPI

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:40:06 ADT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Vikram Chhatre
<crypticlineage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I do indeed have a specially configured Inspiron with 1440x900
> resolution screen.  What I am trying to do is make the font size
> smaller.  For example the font size in fluxbox menu is still pretty
> large and I would like to fit more information on the screen.  Another
> example is the font size in Xchat startup menu.  You know what, let me
> grab some screenshots .
>
> Okay, here we go:
>
> 1. http://160.129.141.112/crypticlineage/xchat.png
> 2. http://160.129.141.112/crypticlineage/fluxboxmenu.png
>
> So, really my question should have been, can I make my fonts sizes
> smaller than they are, or can I fit more information on the screen?

For fluxbox, the FAQ says:

     8. How to fix font size?

          Change font-entry in your style to, eg: *.font: Verdana-7

For applications, there are several places font sizes are set.  If the
app uses an environment such as gnome or KDE then there should
be an app to set defaults for all apps that use the environment.
Legacy X11 apps generally allow you to set font sizes via appres
and xrdb.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia