[nSLUG] Unable to set desired DPI

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:22:11 ADT 2008

2008/10/22 Vikram Chhatre <crypticlineage at gmail.com>:
> What I am trying to do is make the font size
> smaller.

> So, really my question should have been, can I make my fonts sizes
> smaller than they are, or can I fit more information on the screen?

...I'm not sure.  Apart from configuring each specific application to
use a different point size...

You might try moving the 100dpi fonts ahead of the 75dpi fonts in the
font path.  On my system:

$ xset q | grep -A1 Font\ Path
Font Path:
  /usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/OTF/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic/

The 75dpi fonts are first, then the 100dpi fonts.  Swapping these (in
your xorg.conf) so that X applications use the 100dpi fonts by default
might result in ~33% smaller display sizes.

But I'm kinda guessing here, it might not work at all.

(google,google)

Here's a page:

http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/1999-01/thread00076-0.html

which suggests that:

a) swapping the font path order WILL make default fonts change size, and
b) poorly coded software may... look weird or not even be functional
after making the change.

Good luck,

-D.