[nSLUG] Unable to set desired DPI

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 12:19:06 ADT 2008

Hello,

The Dell Inspiron 1525 has a widescreen 15.4 inch display at 1280x800,
according to the specs online at the Dell store.  So your resolution
of 1440x900 is incorrect, unless you have a special model.

If we assume a 16:10 aspect ratio (square pixels) that makes it about
13.1" x 8.2".

Note that 1280 (dots) per 13.1 (inches) = ~96 dpi
800 (dots) per 8.2 (inches) = ~96 dpi

So if Xorg is running at the design spec of the screen, the DPI values
are correct.

Note that using 1440 x 900 would result in HIGHER dpi values, because
you have MORE dots in the same space.

75 dpi would result in a screen resolution of about 980x610 --
probably not what you want.

If you really want the DPI value to be 75, you can use the
"DisplaySize  width height" option in the Montior section your
xorg.conf.  A fake size of 17" x 10.67" would result in a calcuated
DPI of 75.  Not sure what use it would be though.

Yes, it has started to get a bit nippy on some days in Halifax.  Where are you?

-D.