[nSLUG] Nvidia nforce3 SATA sata_nv ahci module shenanigans

Luke Gavel fidomail2002 at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 18 00:23:17 ADT 2008

Hi,

So, I've been in the process of salvaging and rebuilding a couple of comps at home.  I have two sata 1TB WD HDs and one IDE 40G HD which I was hoping to use to expand the role of a amd sempron 1.7Gz fc5 KDE workstation into a fileserver.  Nada.  AFAIK after extensive googling, not even the latest unstable kernel version includes a module that will recognize nvidia's nforceX sata chipsets--unless someone else knows otherwise?  Please?

Nvidia has released some sample code for the nforce chipsets.  But reportedly no one (ie a kernel developer) has yet 'expressed an interest' in  debugging and testing the code for inclusion within ANY kernel, as per linux-ata.org.  And NO, I'm not interested either, because my C is quite rusty, and I'm nervous about  coding in kernelspace.  And there's no way to fuse/solder a NVIDIA chipset onto a old-ish system that I wouldn't care about utterly destroying because I'm not really using it actively at the moment.

I am going to have swap OSes, in the meantime, rather than wait on a whim and a prayer for a kernel developer to hack up a module so I finally use my sata drives within a linux-based home fileserver.  A WinXP installation will have to go into the sata-capable mtb so I can install nvidia's windoze chipset drivers from a cd that came with the upgrade kit.  But, on a good note, I've found and successfully tested another ide-only P4 motherboard (SOYO) within a tower that once held another p4 mtb (Aopen) that recently gave it's last gasp after six years of quasi-unstable service.  I'm in the process of trying to install fedora 9 on the soyo board with a hodge-podge of IDE drives and a DVD burner.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Screaming isn't good advice...

--Luke G.