[nSLUG] Re: Sound problem (isn't there always?)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Oct 12 03:05:34 ADT 2008

Daniel Morrison wrote:

D> Have you ever played a music CD on this hardware before (another OS)?

No.  Pig in a poke.

D> ...must be attached to your sound card's (motherboard's) CD or AUX
D> inputs using one of those CD analog audio cables that come in about
D> three hundred different flavoured ends.

Ah, so.  Well, let's try that.....[excursions to various dark corners
where old computers are stored]...

I have 3 of the (alleged :-) 300 flavours.  One does fit.  Shazzam!  I
have a Vivaldi bassoon concerto playing as I write.

D> So don't give up on the analog solution yet!

Right.  Thank you!

One interesting point: the reference that you gave:

D> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/specs.htm

lists a several internal connectors including a CD Audio one.  But
initially I overlooked that one (marked CD IN) and was about to plug
the cable into a more conspicuous one marked "ATAPI" -- same size and
configuration.  The ATAPI internal mobo connector isn't mentioned in
the dell.com page.  What's it for?

Aaron wrote:

A> While many older CD-ROMs would output analog via a patch cable to
A> the sound card, most of the CD/DVD drives you buy today no longer
A> even have that connector on the back...

Right. So this whole exercise may be mostly a learning experience
because when this P4 becomes my main machine, I'll replace one (or
maybe both) of the current CD drives with a brand new Phillips DVD
drive/recorder from my present main machine.  I don't recall that it
has the analog audio pigtail.

Which leads to another question:

I see that, with Slack 12.1 and 2.6 kernel, I'm getting a note in
dmesg (which originates from ide-scsi.c itself):

   ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give
        dev=/dev/hdX as device

The manpage for cdrecord (Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a38)
isn't completely clear on this.  Is it the case that instead of doing, say,

    cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0   -eject isoimage

with ide-scsi.o in kernel and append="hdd=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf, I
can omit modprobe ide-scsi, omit append="hdd=ide-scsi" from lilo.conf
and just use this?

        cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=/dev/hdd   -eject isoimage

The manpage is giving slightly different syntax from dmesg when the
manpage says:

    Some operating systems or SCSI transport implementations may
    require to specify a filename in addition.  In this case the
    correct syntax for the device is:
    dev=devicename:scsibus,target,lun or dev=device-name:target,lun.
    If the name of the device node that has been specified on such a
    system refers to exactly one SCSI device, a shorthand in the form
    dev=devicename:@ or dev= devicename:@,lun may be used instead of
    dev=devicename:scsibus,target,lun.

I've been successfully using ide-scsi with a 2.4 kernel, most recently
on a PIII with a DVD burner.  But I'd be happy to omit that extra
baggage if it isn't neccessary any more.

Thanks for the help with audio,
- Mike

PS:

Aaron>  skwidly:~ # hwinfo --cd

Ah!  I don't have hwinfo. A very old "sysinfo" doesn't work well with
recent hardware.  I've just fetched the hwinfo tgz and src from
repository.slacky.eu.  New toy/tool!

                                                           /V\