[nSLUG] Sound problem (isn't there always?)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Oct 11 04:14:55 ADT 2008

Just installed Slackware 12.1.  All is well. Er, well, most is well.

Can't play a music CD.

  + Sound card, speakers, head phones work because I can play a .wav
    or .au file.

  + Mixer works because I can vary volume with aumix when playing a
    sound file.

  + Software to play CDs (Szijarto Szabolcs' cdp or Max Vozeler's
    cdtool) appears to work: The drive spins up, pauses, resumes,
    stops and ejects in response to corresponding commands from the
    software. But no sound.

This is a Dell Dimension 3000 w/ Intel P4 CPU and (according to lspci)
Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Audio Controller.

There are two drives: One CD and one CD/RW.  The above problem occurs
whether I point /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdd or /dev/hdc (with a CD in the
appropriate drive, of course.)

I've run alsaconf. No better.

It's probably something stupid and obvious but I'm dull and lert.
Something about udev that I don't know?  Perms on /usr/weird_file?
Have to depress the blue thing twice?  Duh.

Any pointers?

TIA,
- Mike

                                                           /V\