[nSLUG] Remote Desktop

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Nov 19 13:12:08 AST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 01:01:24PM -0400, Rick Burdon wrote:
> For Security & performance reasons I use NX @ http://www.nomachine.com/
>
> There are clients for windows, mac & Linux and it's fairly easy to install
> the server on your Linux box.  I also find that it out performs VNC and its
> free.

NX is proprietary, and as far as I know has no server component for
windows. The free implementation (http://freenx.berlios.de/) lags
behind. I can't speak to the quality of the windows/linux clients, but
the OSX one is buggy.

While NX does seem to perform better than VNC, if your concern is
security you could just tunnel VNC over SSH, which is essentially all
NX is doing.

Better option would probably be to use RDP on Windows (and Xrdp on
Linux)