[nSLUG] recommended free shell for using swaks?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:32:22 AST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:09:20PM -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> >
> > ISP's block outbound port 25 so this is why I seek
> > something other than doing it from home.
>
> Not all the ISPs block outbound port 25. Atleast in ON. Call around to
> find one that doesn't.

I'm in Nova Scotia.  We only have Eastlink and Aliant and they
both block outbound port 25 unless it is to their SMTP or
you pay a lot more than residential ISP rates for business connection.
vex.net doesn't block this, but as I mentioned I don't want
to pay for another ISP away from my home.

If there are none :-( consider an IPSec point to point link in
> transport not tunnel mode. Transport mode with a PSK is easier to
> setup and understand then trying to connect to networks over a
> tunnel. If you are talking linux to linux this should be almost
> easy. You could also try OpenVPN but then you are adding an extra
> interface to the mailserver which may affect the tests. Either way the
> ISP can filter what it can't see.

Yes, that would work, for the task of testing mail server.
Setting an alternative port on postfix and swaks is less efforts
however.

--Donald