[nSLUG] USB inspection camera for linux?

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 15:59:32 AST 2008

Just to clarify:

> knockoffs ($50).    Bodelin (US distributer) provided one to the
> linux-uvc <https://linux-uvc.berlios.de/> developer, but apparently
> this only supports the video mode, not
> still image capture.    Video formats generally degrade image quality,
> so I wouldn't expect frame capture from video (e.g., videodog) to give
> decent images.   That means I'm looking for SANE image capture
> support.

Are you saying the device doesn't support still image capture, or the
driver doesn't?  Pretty cool little thing either way, but I can't
imagine a 100x image capture from a handheld camera is going to be too
clear either.  :)

You might be able to improve the effective video resolution a little
bit with some object tracking/superresolution type setup, but I'm not
sure what your goal is...

Otherwise I think you can get an older used dSLR for not too much more
than what you're paying, and I'd expect there is some kind of macro
lens or higher you can get with some intelligent lighting solution?

Jason