[nSLUG] USB inspection camera for linux?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 13:10:20 AST 2008

Does anybody have experience with low-end digital microscopes?  These
are small cameras with led lighting, close focus lenses, and USB
interfaces.  Some models have software (for
commercial OS's) that support dimensional measurements.   The Bodelin
ProScope HR
<http://www.sciencetechnologyresources.com/Products/ProScope_HR/ProScope_HR.php>
is one example, but there are others from  Dyna-Lite and also very cheap Chinese
knockoffs ($50).    Bodelin (US distributer) provided one to the
linux-uvc <https://linux-uvc.berlios.de/> developer, but apparently
this only supports the video mode, not
still image capture.    Video formats generally degrade image quality,
so I wouldn't expect frame capture from video (e.g., videodog) to give
decent images.   That means I'm looking for SANE image capture
support.

I'm interested in using it in metalworking, and my wife will be using
it for quilting/knitting.
The tradtional jeweler's loupe doesn't provide image that can be
viewed by more than one person and stored for future reference, and
you have to get you head close to the subject.
I've been using digital cameras, but they barely get to 1/1 (macro)
magnification, the small
displays sometimes make it hard to get the right shot, and to see the
full image you have
to exit photo mode, connect to the PC, and upload.    The higher
resolution of cheap
digicams does mean that 1/4 of a 1/1 image is comparable to a 1.3MP
image, e.g, 2x magnification, but is it a waste of time transferring a
bigger image, loading, and cropping just because you can't zoom in on
the small area you want to see.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia