[nSLUG] Debian vserver kernel

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Nov 7 13:38:23 AST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 09:11:52AM -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> I just started dabbling with the virtual server on Debian.

Based on your needs vserver is likely the best choice. I have been
using vservers with Debian for a year or so to great success. Debian
has some great packages for manageing vserser too.

on to your problem:

I don't recall doing anything special for networking to work.

I am using kernel version  2.6.18-6-vserver-686

If X can't start it sounds like the loop back interface didn't come
up. Is lo up? What happens when you run 'ifup lo' ?

Do you have a static IP or are you using DHCP? DHCP may be a problem
so try setting a static ip.

Did the ethernet interface get renumbered? (eth0 became eth1 etc)

--
sg