[nSLUG] [OT] Re: Any electronic hardware wizards here?

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:48:00 AST 2008

2008/11/7 D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
> When I discussed low power Linux alternatives a few weeks back,
> there seemed to be a few people who loved their power beasts
> no matter what the cost in juice.
>
> Maybe bring some old hardware in and run it under the bed?

Heh -- I am now in the (unfortunate) position of running two systems
in my bedroom 24/7, and it's noticeably warmer in my room than in the
rest of the apartment.

Unfortunate, because one is my 'server' for my project, but I'm not
actually serving anything yet, and the other is my desktop, which
really should be hibernating when I'm not using it... but unmentioned
circumstances are keeping it running.  I'm going to have to pay the
power bill.

About electric blankets: my father has an ancient one (with those hard
bulby bits inside) that still works (although I believe he's repaired
the (old-fashioned) controller himself more than once).

Since over a year ago I had some experience with an electric mattress
pad, and was very impressed.  It's still working fine, even with
modern digital controllers.  Very effective, and it's even been washed
(following the instructions, carefully, in a front-loading washer).
So, recommended.  Made by SunBeam.  Bought on eBay for a fraction of
the retail price.

Although a mattress pad is subject to direct presure from people lying
on it, it's unlikely to get twisted and folded like a blanket, so this
may account for some of its durability.

-D.