[nSLUG] Debian vserver kernel

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 09:11:52 AST 2008

I just started dabbling with the virtual server on Debian.
The instructions I've found are very simple, but immediately
I found problems which I don't find discussed on the net.

I get as far as booting the new linux-image-2.6.18-6-vserver-686
kernel (pre-compiled, debian package), and I find my
network interface is up but TCP doesn't seem to be working,
and Xorg won't start.  This is on the host system - didn't start
the steps related to the guest(s).  I didn't spend much time
debugging that as it seemed glaringly wrong and I figured
I must have missed a step or something.

I see a lot of the chatter around vserver is from 2005ish, and not much
recent.  Is there something more commonly used now?  Xen?
Virtualbox?  OpenVZ?  VMware?  Or should I look at compiling
my own kernel for vserver?

Just wondering what the collective experience has been
with these variants or with the Debian vserver kernel.

--Donald