[nSLUG] [OT] Any electronic hardware wizards here?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Nov 6 07:17:00 AST 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Mike Spencer wrote:

> OT, non-Linux, non-computer.  I'm really steamed that I spend ca. $100
> on  electric balnkets that just gradually stop working over a period
> of 12 to 24 months.

I would expect it to be essentially an array of resistors embedded in the
blanket, and the connectors are fraying or flexing and coming loose or
snapping. I would agree with the gurus that this is really not worth
repairing, but if you want to try it on a dead blanket, tear the blanket
apart and use a multimeter to check for dead connections. You will then
need to sew the blanket back together. I suspect this would be the point
at which you understand why it's not worth repairing, though it may be
fine for you to do for yourself.

My personal recommendation would be a couple of hot water bottles and
extra layers of blankets/duvets/etc. This works fine for me with the
thermostat set to 10C.

Cheers... Dop.