[nSLUG] White Elephant (Was: Slack upgrade (Was: USB storage hot-swap...))

Baha Baydar bbaydar at gmail.com
Mon May 19 20:31:38 ADT 2008

Hello,

>Drifting a bit off-topic: I recently found a running diesel engine of
>suitable size and acceptable price to power the White Elephant [1]
>sitting in my yard.  No major documentation on-line that I could find.
>Bought the shop manual from Deutz on CD, $110.  It has everything that
>I *don't* really need to know in typical Germanic precision & detail,
>in four languages.  Has none of the particular details that I *do*
>need to know and, to top it off, it's a single 780-page PDF of scanned
>page images so the "text" isn't text and isn't searchable.

>[1] White Elephant: 300# Alldays & Onions air hammer.  Details on my
>   web site.  No Linux relevance.

Took a bit of poking around to find it on your site, but very cool
details and pics. (
http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/shop/alldays.html )

Have you considered running the PDF through some of the various OCR
software out there?

--
Baha Baydar http://www.hyperion.org
bbaydar at gmail.com http://www.aztekrally.org