[nSLUG] USB storage hot-swap question

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Sun May 18 11:21:53 ADT 2008

Hi,

Upgrading slack: I know only a single major version upgrade is "supported"
by the instructions in UPGRADE.TXT, but I have successfully (and quite
easily) upgraded over multiple version numbers (e.g. slack 9 - > slack
11, slack 10 -> slack 12).  The upgrade process is really quite simple.
The biggest catch is manually going through your /etc/*/*.new scripts, and
moving them into place, and making sure you remove old packages that are
no longer used in the newer distro.

Certainly, if you're not comfortable with that much manual fiddling, go
for a clean install.  I have had some small annoyances (e.g. gv not
working until ghostscript-fonts were reinstalled again, etc...).

---

Rather than unloading and reloading the USB modules, you _may_ have some
success with deregistering the scsi device after you unplug the stick:

# echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 ? 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

(use the SCSI ID in place of "?" above, which in your case was '0')

Don't know if this will improve the situation, but it's worth a try
perhaps.

-D.