[nSLUG] USB storage hot-swap question

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun May 18 07:08:08 ADT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Rich> I've tried stick reader and hub reader - I get some issues with
> Rich> kernel freezing, but I think its a bug in the udev rules. (need
> Rich> some time to troubleshoot).
> Rich> [....]
> Rich> I find udev/hal works much better than hotplug ever did.  :)
>
> Part of the reason I haven't upgraded to 2.6 kernel: I've read (but
> haven't understood) mention of bugs in the wonderful new udev.  I'm
> not really intimidated by recompiling a kernel -- did it once to get
> $I_FORGET_WHAT to work -- but I'm not keen on spending a lot of time
> hacking the kernel, even at the Mickey Mouse level.

I think most of the udev problems have been sorted out, although there
are still people reporting problems with Palm devices.  My Palm works
fine with most of the systems I use, but crashes a PIII Thinkpad with USB 1.

> [...]
>
> George> Look in the manuals -- does it say "only for keyboard and
> George> mouse".  Again, I'd avoid USB 1 and get a USB 2 card.
>
> Manuals? All my computers are 2nd hand from (what any self-respecting
> marketing droid [1] would call) the junk bin.

Some vendors (IBM, Dell) provide documents online (usually as PDF),
as do some system board vendors.   Dell, Apple, have forums where
you can ask such questions and get a reponse from someone who
still has the original printed manual.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia