[nSLUG] Re: USB storage hot-swap question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat May 17 21:32:27 ADT 2008

Rich> I've tried stick reader and hub reader - I get some issues with
Rich> kernel freezing, but I think its a bug in the udev rules. (need
Rich> some time to troubleshoot).
Rich> [....]
Rich> I find udev/hal works much better than hotplug ever did.  :)

Part of the reason I haven't upgraded to 2.6 kernel: I've read (but
haven't understood) mention of bugs in the wonderful new udev.  I'm
not really intimidated by recompiling a kernel -- did it once to get
$I_FORGET_WHAT to work -- but I'm not keen on spending a lot of time
hacking the kernel, even at the Mickey Mouse level.

Rich> BTW, Slackware 12.1 is out.  I've been using the beta for a
Rich> while, its worth the update, lots of fixes and cleanup.

I've made myself a bit of a problem by not ugrading from Slack 10.1 to
11.x.  I gather from browsing the relevant upgrade READMEs that a jump
from 10.1 to 12.1 just isn't supported by the upgrade scripts.  So my
plan is to get 12.1 up on my (new, old) Dell P4, then simply take the
windoes route on the other computers:  wipe the / partition and
install Slack 12.1 from scratch. Tedious, given all the indiosycratic
fiddles that have to be redone, but less error prone than trying to do
an "upgrade" that isn't supported.

Rich> See if you have a /proc/config.gz

Nope.

George> ...but why not upgrade to a current distro.

Yeah.  See above.

George> The trick for older hardware is to stiick with a lightweight window
George> manager.

I use twm and no "desktop environment".  Anything above 486 seems to
handle that okay. My current IBM P3 is "*old* hardware"?   Awwwww... :-)

George> Look in the manuals -- does it say "only for keyboard and
George> mouse".  Again, I'd avoid USB 1 and get a USB 2 card.

Manuals? All my computers are 2nd hand from (what any self-respecting
marketing droid [1] would call) the junk bin.

George> If you have only one USB storage device at a time, then it
George> make sense to just remove and reload the module.

Right.  I'll do that and see what the "new" P4 with Slack 12.1/2.6
kernel does.

Tnx,
- Mike

[1] Is that an oxymoron? :-)