[nSLUG] Re: USB storage hot-swap question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat May 17 15:51:24 ADT 2008

I wrote:

me> But if I umount the [USB memory] device, unplug it and plug in
me> another device, mount refuses to mount it, reporting that it is
me> "is not a valid block device".

And "George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> quoth:

> I haven't seen this (on 2.6.24.7-92.fc8). The entry in
> /proc/scsi/scsi disappears when the device is unplugged from the USB
> connector.

Oh. Well, I'm using a 2.4 kernel.  USB webcam works as advertized and USB
memory works but doesn't hot-swap properly.

> A certain well-known direct vendor is notorious for USB ports that
> don't behave.

This is an IBM P3. "Type 6579 GJU" if the xternal sticker is to be
believed.

> Do you see lines in /var/log/messages like:
>
>   May 17 14:41:50 cerberus kernel: usb 1-5: USB disconnect, address 4

After unmounting and removing one device, then plugging in and
attempting to mount another, /var/log/messages has:

    May 17 15:23:09 bogus kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device
                    00:1f.2-2 address 5
    May 17 15:23:28 bogus kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.2-2,
                    assigned address 6
    May 17 15:24:02 bogus kernel: sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
    May 17 15:24:02 bogus kernel:  sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0

Does that tell you anything useful?

> You might be interested in <http://www.linux-usb.org/usbtest/>....

Yow!  That makes it look like the whole USB matter is a can or worms
under the hood.  Browsing over it, I gather I should upgrade to a 2.6
kernel RSN.  Well, I just bought a used Dell P4 on which I'm going to
install Slack 12/2.6 kernel. (Or was it Dell that you called "A
certain well-known direct vendor...notorious for USB ports that don't
behave."?)

So maybe I'll just live with this hot-plug annoyance until I have that
up and running.

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\